Jazz Conception Alto & Baritone Saxophone
Jazz Conception is a new and exciting way for players at all levels to learn the language of jazz! Each book/audio set features 21 solo etudes based on chord changes to standards and blues.
The same 21 etudes transposed and adapted for the main jazz instruments.
See and hear how a well known soloist phrases and articulates and play along with or without the soloist on the audio recordings.
Play along with one of today's finest, swinging New York rhythm sections: Mike LeDonne on piano, Dennis Irwin on bass, and Kenny Washington on drums.
Start out fairly easy, then get progressively more difficult.
Use the etudes as a bridge to solos of the masters that are usually more complicated and involved.
Learn melodies and lines that will give you a solid jazz vocabulary and musicality.
Use the book/audio sets for private lessons, for self-study, or in any combination up to a full jazz ensemble, including flute and clarinet.
If you are more advanced you may want to use the book to develop your sight reading abilities, for transcribing the etudes off the recordings (then check against the book) or for just having fun playing along with a great jazz rhythm section.
Use as an improvisation study, learning how to construct a swinging, logical solo – works especially well in combination with the Study Guide.
The Jazz Conception Series is also perfectly suited for the class room. It can be used to develop younger students' jazz style in a big band or small group. In an improvisation class the teacher can use the etudes as studies in improvisation. The Study Guide provides an analysis of each etude, along with practice assignments for each etude.
Two Plus Two
A unique conceptual bridge to the masters
Whether you’re studying improvisation, jazz style or just want to dig playing with one of the greatest rhythm sections on earth, the Jazz Conception book/CD series is for you. Used by students, private teachers, high schools, colleges and even jazz pros, this innovative series is the best-selling, most popular etude books in the world. Here’s why:
- Authentic sounding etudes, based on chord progressions to standards, jazz tunes and blues, in the style of jazz greats, including Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, JJ Johnson and Herbie Hancock among others.
- Famous international jazz recording artists perform the etudes on the included play along CD. Slide Hampton, Frank Wess, Kenny Washington, Eric Alexander, Jim Snidero, David Hazeltine, Conrad Herwig, Jim Rotondi and others, show how to phrase and swing.
- The best sounding rhythm sections of any jazz play along CD. You can’t get closer to playing with Miles’s band than this!
- Three levels of difficulty: Easy, Intermediate and the original Jazz Conception. Simple to match any skill level.
- Available for virtually every instrument in jazz, making it highly useful for classroom instruction.